3/07/2015

Deeper than physical clutter...

I think it's safe to say that we *all* have some clutter in our homes.
(That's why you're reading a blog called Simplify Your Stuff, right?)

So really, it's not necessarily if, but how much clutter you have that's an issue.  Unless you live alone in the woods where no one ever comes to visit you--ever--your clutter effects other people. Or maybe you're the one living with someone who has too much clutter...

In an article last year in the Wall Street Journal, titled The Psychology of Clutter, one line really resonated with me: 
'What matters is whether your habits distress you or others.'

This is when "stuff" turns into "chaos."  If you're feeling overwhelmed by piles of stuff, or bills that are overdue because you misplaced them, or find yourself running late because you can't find what you're looking for...you could be sabotaging yourself with stuff.

Things don't magically appear in your home.
You bring them in (or don't decline when others give them to you).

So the first thing to do when trying to get a grip on so much stuff: stop bringing more home!

The next step is to start clearing out the things you aren't using consistently...and to listen to the voice in your head when deciding what to do with each item:

"I might need this someday"
"________ could use this, I'll save it for her/him"
"I paid _____ amount for this, I can't just give it away"
"I might fit into this {shirt/dress/jeans/bathing suit} again one day"
"This was ______'s when s/he was a baby!"
"My mother gave me this before she passed away"
"I better save this for _________"
"This isn't trash, I'm not sending it to the landfill"
"My (spouse) would kill me if I got rid of this!"
"OH! I was looking for this!"
"Little _______ made this when s/he was ___ years old!"
"I owe how much on this credit card?"
"When we move, I will use this"
"We have the space to store this, no need to get rid of it"
"My kids will want this some day"
"______ gave me this as a gift, so I must keep it"
"I plan on fixing this and using it soon"
"This is worth some money--I'm going to sell it!"
"What if I want this after I get rid of it?"
"This is my favorite color...I have to keep it"

Clearing out your physical clutter is easy compared to dealing with the mental clutter surrounding the physical clutter!  Notice what you tell yourself, and see if you can replace your "need" to keep it, with a reason to let go of it (someone else can use it, a non-profit can use it/sell it/repurpose it, you'll have more free space without it, etc).

If bringing items into your home is a habit (shopping, thrifting, etc), you'll have to replace that habit with something else.  Volunteering {the time you would've spent shopping} at a local non-profit is an excellent way to help others in your community, keep money in your wallet, and stuff out of your home!

What's your biggest "reason to keep" something that you battle?









No comments:

Post a Comment